Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Salad with a bacon that didn't squeal

I have tried most of the fake bacon products on the market. Some of them were quite weird. So far the best one I found was Fakin' Bacon (Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips) by Lightlife company. It is a bit pricey for a tempeh product, but it is totally worth it. It smells and looks almost like a real bacon and even gets crispy. I love this stuff. I use it for yummy "BLT" sandwiches and salads. You can buy a regular tempeh, thinly slice it, and marinate it in some soy sauce and "liquid smoke". However, it is not going to taste as authentic.
This is a very easy and tasty salad.
Toss some chopped lettuce with sliced radishes, sliced onions, marinated artichoke hearts, kalamata and green olives, and tomatoes. Top with several strips of fake bacon. You can use whatever dressing you like the most. I used a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

For the ones who don't know what tempeh is:
Tempeh is a meat alternative made from cooked and fermented soybeans. Most commercially prepared brands also add grains, such as brown rice, barley or millet. Tempeh has a very unique nutty flavor. Tempeh is a great source of protein, calcium and iron.



1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on the tempeh bacon. I also love to use my liquid smoke. Your salad looks awesome! I need to use more radish. :)

    ReplyDelete